About Harvest Times 2022
Celebrate the return of autumn with FCA Toronto’s “Harvest Times”, our third and final live exhibition of 2022. We are hosting this month-long show at the Beaux Arts Gallery in Brampton, from Wednesday, October 19th to Saturday, November 12.
Our “Harvest Times” show will be a juried exhibition and sale of original artwork by FCA Toronto artists who are Active or Signature Status members of the national FCA in good standing.
Acceptance into this exhibition will stand as one qualifying point for Signature Status applications with the Federation. Points are allocated per acceptance, not per artwork.
The gallery is located here: 16 Queen Street East, Brampton, ON L6V 1A2
The key dates, terms, and conditions are listed below.
Exhibition Dates (in Gallery and Online): Wednesday, October 19 to Saturday, November 12, 2022
Submission Start Date: July 8
Submission Deadline: September 1
Notification of Results by the FCA: September 16
Drop-Off Day: Sunday October 16th, 12 noon to 1:30 pm. More details will be provided to selected artists.
Shipping Period: Shipping instructions will be sent to selected artists.
Exhibition Opening: Wednesday, October 19
Opening Reception: Saturday, October 22, 1 to 3 pm.
Exhibition Closing: Saturday, November 12
Take-Down Pickup Day: Saturday, November 12, 2 to 4 pm. More details will be provided to selected artists.
Eligibility: To be eligible to submit an entry, artists must be members in good standing of the national FCA with Active or Signature status and they must also be affiliated with the Toronto chapter.
Theme: As the title “Harvest Times” suggests, FCA Toronto is encouraging submissions that evoke the colours and sights of autumn and the fall harvest, in whatever way artists wish to interpret them. All genres and styles are welcome. This is important to give our exhibition some degree of cohesion. We will be asking the jury to take this theme into consideration when assessing submissions.
Size: While we would like to encourage square artworks ranging in size from 10″ x 10″ to 30″ x 30″ (excluding frame dimensions), any format is now acceptable so long as the longest side does not exceed 30″ in length. We can only accept one artwork at the maximum size (i.e, 30″ x 30″) per artist.
Acceptable Media: acrylic, encaustics, graphite, ink, mixed media, oil, pastel, pencil, water media and hand-pulled prints in runs of up to 200. We will ask artists to also indicate the support as well as the medium they are used, e.g., acrylic on canvas, oil on aluminum panel.
Excluded Media: Sculpture, photography, digital photography, digital prints, digital art, posters, pyrography, giclee, mechanical reproductions, and works that rely heavily on mechanical reproductions are not permitted.
Maximum Number of Artworks an Artist May Submit: 5
Maximum Number of Artworks per Artist the Jury May Accept: 4
Maximum Number of Artworks to be Accepted: 60
Entry Fee: $15 per image (non-refundable)
- 1st place — $500
- 2nd place — $250
- 3rd place — $100
- 3 honourable mentions
Image Requirements for Submission:
- JPEG format
- At least 1500 pixels on the longest side of your digital image
- Maximum file size of 24MB
- There is no file naming convention. When you upload the image files on the FCA’s submission page, you do not need to worry about a naming convention for your files. FCA’s software generates a new file name based on your first name, last name and the title of your artwork.
Terms and Conditions
Presentation: All artwork must be delivered ready to hang. While framed artwork is preferred, unframed work on cradled wood panel or stretched canvas are permitted so long as the following conditions are met:
- Edges of works on cradled wood panel must be completely void of paint, or completely covered in a complementary colour, or be a continuation of the artwork.
- Edges of work on gallery-wrapped canvas can be either a complimentary colour or a continuation of the artwork. Raw canvas edges are not permitted. Staples must be on the back of gallery-wrapped canvases.
If the artwork delivered does not match the image submitted to the FCA, or if it is not presentable for any legitimate reason (e.g., it’s damaged or wet), then FCA Toronto reserves the right to choose not to hang the work.
Copyright: Submitted work must be original work by the artist, not copies or derivatives of the work of others or in any way an infringement of copyright. While using photos as a reference for painting is a long-held accepted practice, using stock imagery or photographs taken by professional photographers is not permissible at FCA Toronto, even with the photographer’s permission or with a paid license to reproduce the image. All artists accepted into FCA Toronto’s exhibition must confirm that their artwork is not a copy, derivative, or based on the work of others, or in any way an infringement of Canadian copyright law.
Pricing: All artworks must be available for sale and priced in Canadian dollars. If you charge HST, please include the HST in your price.
Sales: Artwork must be available for sale throughout the entire period of the exhibition. If a sale is made, artists will be informed by phone or email. By submitting their artwork to this call, the artist agrees to allow FCA Toronto to negotiate a sale on their behalf including up to 10% off of the artist’s submitted sale price.
Commission: If the artwork in the exhibition is sold at the Beaux Arts Gallery (or through the exposure FCA Toronto has provided online on its website and social media platforms), the art gallery and FCA Toronto will collect a commission of 35%. (25% for Beaux Arts Gallery and 10% for FCA Toronto). Payment to artists will be made by e-transfer within 30 days of receiving payment from the buyer.
Insurance: The gallery does not provide insurance for artwork. Artists are responsible for providing their own insurance for their artwork while it is displayed in Beaux Arts Gallery, and during transit to and from the gallery. The Gallery Staff and Volunteer Members will take all reasonable care in handling the artwork while it remains in the Gallery.
Every artwork submitted must comply with the Federation of Canadian Artists’ standard set of terms and conditions, which is stated on their submission page.
Submit Your Entry
The submission and jurying process for this exhibition is being managed by the Federation of Canadian Artists on the behalf of FCA Toronto.
The button below will take you to the submission page.
Please be prepared with the following:
- Your national FCA account credentials (NOT your FCA Toronto account for your online profile — the two websites are totally separate).
- Your payment information (i.e., credit card).
- The images you wish to submit and the details for each one: title, medium, size, price. Please proofread these details for grammar and accuracy because they are used for captions and labels and cannot be easily changed later.
- For the Artwork description field, the framed dimensions of your artwork, if applicable. The exhibition team needs this information to plan the layout of the exhibition.
- Also, in the artwork description field, provide an explanation for the connection between your artwork and the Harvest Times theme, if it may not be obvious to the jury. (Example: when your choice of colour palette evokes autumn colours even if your subject matter or composition doesn’t necessarily relate to autumn.)