1. Why start an FCA chapter in Toronto?
There has not been a chapter here since the early 1960’s and none currently exist east of Alberta. Yet there are over 220 FCA members living in Ontario. We want to be able to continue the FCA’s mission here in the Toronto area:
- to offer exhibition, professional development, and networking opportunities in the visual arts;
- to support and promote professional FCA member artists; and
- to advance the knowledge and appreciation of art and culture.
2. Who is eligible to join FCA Toronto?
To be eligible to join FCA Toronto, you need to meet three conditions:
- Be a current member of the national Federation of Canadian Artists (FCA), at least as a Supporting member.
- Be willing to comply with the bylaws and policies of FCA Toronto and the national FCA, and
- Pay the prescribed chapter fees for the current year, set for $30.00 CDN, ending April 30, 2021.
3. Can I join FCA Toronto even though I don’t live in Toronto?
Absolutely. Artists living outside of Toronto are welcome to join and participate in the Chapter’s activities so long as they meet the criteria above.
4. What is the fee for joining FCA Toronto?
The membership fee for the 2020 – 2021 year ending April 30, 2021 is $30.00 CDN. Most FCA chapters charge between $25/year and $50/year to cover operational costs. This fee is separate and in addition to the annual membership fee charged by the national office in Vancouver. (2020 FCA fees: $65 Supporting member, $95 Active member)
5. What is the procedure for joining?
- The starting point is the Federation of Canadian artists website: www.artists.ca. Read about the organization, its mission, its benefits for members, and membership levels. Apply there to become an FCA member. Applications are welcome throughout the year.
- Fill out the online application form and pay the membership fee online (the last section of the form). You can pay by PayPal or Credit Card.
- FCA Toronto will contact you directly to confirm receipt of the application. We will then verify your current status with the FCA and then send you instructions for getting started.
6. If I join the national FCA, do I automatically belong to FCA Toronto?
No, you will need to apply separately to join us. The national FCA head office will invite you to contact us at email@example.com. Once we have your name and email address on our mailing list, we’ll send you a link to the application form. You can also apply online directly using the form on our Join FCA Toronto page.
7. Can I still exhibit with Federation Gallery in Vancouver?
Absolutely. FCA Toronto will just offer you another option to exhibit your work in a sanctioned FCA Exhibition closer to home. Reach a new art market and save on courier fees at the same time!
8. Can I exhibit with FCA Toronto if I’m just a supporting national FCA member at the moment?
No. For our exhibitions to qualify with the FCA and operate under the FCA banner, they must only be open to Active, AFCA and SFCA status members. There may be exceptions such as an open national exhibition hosted by FCA Toronto, but these will be rare.
9. Where do you meet?
Given the current pandemic crisis, we are only meeting online via Zoom. Once the pandemic passes, we will be hosting events in the GTA and possibly in different centres throughout Ontario (Hamilton, Stratford, London, Orillia, etc.)
10. When is the first show?
We hosted our first online exhibition in the summer of 2020: Summer Palette 2020, August 4 to September 7. We are currently planning our next exhibition for December 2020. Plus, we are exploring options for hosting an exhibition in a public gallery in 2021 and beyond.
11. When is the next professional development event?
We will be devising a foundations programme in 2020 and determine when we can launch our first event. We anticipate this will be in the spring of 2021.
12. When is the first general meeting?
Our first general meeting for FCA Toronto members will be held online via Zoom on October 24, 2020. FCA Toronto members in good standing will be sent an invitation.